Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Fed up with Browser Caching

I have an image control on my c#.net page. Users can upload images to the site and my code creates a thumbnail of that newly uploaded image and assigns it to the image control. So the image name will be always same but image changes/overwrites.

The ill point is, the image control does not refresh the newly selected image. The change takes place when I manually refreshed the page.

I found a solution: In IIS management console, select the website, open properties, select HTTP Headers tab, enable Content Expiration and select ‘expire immediately’.

This works perfectly, but in my case I don’t have the access to IIS management console in my hosting server. Therefore I need to get this thing done from the code. I have tried following tricks but none of them worked.

1) set the HTML meta tags

META HTTP-EQUIV=CACHE-CONTROL CONTENT=NO-CACHE
META HTTP-EQUIV=expires CONTENT=-1

2) I have set a cache and removed it before assigning the imageurl

Cache.Insert("image01",Thumb1.ImageUrl);
Cache.Remove(“image01”);

3) Flushing cache each time refreshing

Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache)

I am exploring a way to get rid of this issue since three days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home